Dale Erquiaga, the Superintendent of Public Instruction of Nevada’s Department of Education joined my students and me at the University of Nevada yesterday. I teach Educational Leadership in Modern Society and Educational School Law courses. Dale generously contributed his time to help support my students’ (future NV teachers and administrators) professional development by responding to their questions (posted below). His responses to their questions are found in the comment section.
1. Please share your thoughts about the NV teacher & administrator evaluations. (Please include some short-term and long-term benefits, challenges, concerns.)
2. Please share about the Common Core State Standards Initiative. (Please include how it will be implemented and used.)
3. Please share your thoughts about the new NV higher education funding formula. (Please include some short-term and long-term benefits, challenges, concerns.
4. What are some recommendations for future teachers/administrators entering into public NV K12 positions?
5. How can college students get more involved with legislative decisions impacting Nevada education?